Virtual Policy Roundtables
Join the Milwaukee 2020 Host Committee, in partnership with Business Forward, for a series of thought-provoking Policy Round Tables!
Throughout the duration of the 2020 Democratic National Convention, the Milwaukee 2020 Host Committee and Business Forward are organizing a series of virtual, hour-long round table briefings with senior campaign advisors, elected officials, business leaders, philanthropists, community organizers, and state and local officials. Inspired by the needs of communities across the country, these briefings will examine the critical challenges America faces, including our country’s response to the severe hardships amplified by the COVID-19 crisis.
With a network of more than 100,000 local business leaders, Business Forward works to connect business leaders across the country to Washington decision-makers to discuss how to create jobs and accelerate our economy.
Below, please find the Policy Round Table schedule and RSVP form, where you can sign up to attend as many round tables as you would like. Details on how to watch these discussions will be shared in the coming days. Please note that if you sign up for a meeting, you will receive invites to all of the meetings throughout the week.
Monday, August 17
- 12:00 – 1:00 pm ET- Protecting the Integrity of the Election
- To ensure safe, secure, and fair elections, efforts are being taken to educate and mobilize voters, while combating voter suppression. Join this briefing to hear from leaders on the front lines of protecting the integrity of the election.
- Mayor Lori Lightfoot, City of Chicago
- Emily Cain, Executive Director, Emily’s List
- Alex Morgan, Executive Director, Progressive Turnout Project
- 2:30 – 3:30 pm ET – Investing in a Sustainable Future
- Investing in a sustainable future for America has proven to yield financial returns. Join this briefing to hear from leaders in the environmental, social, and governance (“ESG”) movement about how sustainable practices are moving both society and the economy forward
- Ivan Frishberg, Director of Impact Policy, Amalgamated Bank
- Telva McGruder, Chief Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Officer, General Motors
- Lauren Riley, Managing Director, Global Environmental Affairs & Sustainability, United Airlines
- 5:00 – 6:00 pm ET – Ensuring High Quality Health Care and a Strong Caring Economy
- To protect and strengthen our current healthcare system, efforts and being taken to provide access to quality health care for every American, while ensuring that our caregivers receive the respect and dignity they deserve. Join this briefing to hear from leaders in the fight to strengthen our healthcare system.
- Congresswoman Suzan DelBene (D-WA-1), New Democrat Coalition Vice Chair
- Mary Kay Henry, President, Service Employees International Union
- Joe Kiani, Founder, Chairman, & CEO Masimo
- Jim Skogsbergh, President and CEO, Advocate Aurora Health
Tuesday, August 18
- 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm ET – Building A Modern Sustainable Infrastructure
- To achieve net-zero emissions economy-wide in the next 30 years, efforts are being taken to build a more sustainable and resilient infrastructure now. Join this briefing to hear from job-creating companies that are working to develop a clean energy future.
- Doug Parks, Executive Vice President Global Product Development, Purchasing and Supply Chain, General Motors
- Congresswoman Haley Stevens (D-MI-16)
- Bob Blue, Executive Vice President and Co-Chief Operating Officer, Dominion Energy
- 2:30 – 3:30 pm ET – Respecting Rule of Law and Protecting an Independent Judiciary
- Join this briefing to hear from state attorneys general and leading advocates who have been leading those efforts to ensure partisan politics do not influence judicial conduct or judgment.
- Attorney General Xavier Becerra, State of California
- Hannah Shearer, Litigation Director, Giffords Law Center
- Attorney General Phil Weiser, State of Colorado
- 5:00 – 6:00 pm ET – Securing Retirement for Working Americans
- As almost two-thirds of working Americans have almost no retirement account access, our country is in the midst of a retirement income crisis. Join this briefing to hear from leading experts on their efforts to address the pension crisis and protect Social Security for working Americans.
- Timothy Driscoll, President, International Union of Bricklayers and Allied Craftworker
- John Murphy, Vice President, International Brotherhood of Teamsters
- Chairman Richard Neal (D-MA-01)
- Marc Perrone, International President, United Food & Commercial Workers
Wednesday, August 19
- 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm ET – Closing the Homework Gap During COVID-19 and Beyond
- Our schools have long struggled to provide low-income students with the tools they need to compete, including affordable laptops, broadband access, digital literacy (for students, parents, and teachers), and curriculum that prepares them for the future of work. Experts call this the “homework gap,” and COVID-19 has amplified the crisis to a dangerous level. Join this briefing to hear from leading experts who are solving one of the greatest educational challenges of our time.
- Lily Eskelsen García, President, National Education Association
- Ted Kellner, Honorary Chair, 2020 Democratic National Convention, Fiduciary Management
- Brad Smith, President, Microsoft
- 2:30 – 3:30 pm ET – Ending Gun Violence in America
- Ending gun violence requires a national and comprehensive response that involves advocates, educators, legislators, gun violence victims, and more. Join this briefing to hear from leaders in the gun violence prevention movement who are working to combat this crisis for all communities.
- Alejandro Bedoya, Everytown Athletic Council
- Congresswoman Lucy McBath (D-GA-06)
- Reggie Moore, Director, Office of Violence Prevention, Milwaukee Health Department
- Shannon Watts, Founder, Moms Demand Action
- Randi Weingarten, President, American Federation of Teachers
- 5:00 – 6:00 pm ET – Creating Jobs and Investment in the Heartland
- To create jobs and investment in the heartland, efforts are being taken to invest in innovation infrastructure by delivering broadband access to resource-lacking communities, helping workers get to and from new jobs, and drawing venture capital that is increasingly concentrated on the East and West Coasts. Join this briefing to hear from leading job creators who are turning these efforts into a reality for rural communities.
- Jay Carney, Senior Vice President, Global Corporate Affairs, Amazon
- Anthony Foxx, Chief Policy Officer and Senior Advisor to the President and CEO, Lyft; Former U.S. Secretary of Transportation
- Stephanie Mitchko-Beale, Executive Vice President and Chief Technology Officer, Charter Communications
- Penny Pritzker, Chairman, PSP Partners; Former U.S. Secretary of Commerce
Thursday, August 20
- 2:30 – 3:30 pm ET – Advancing Racial Equity Across the American Economy
- To advance racial equity, efforts are being taken to close the racial wealth gap, expand affordable housing, reform our police and criminal justice system, and invest in educational opportunities for all children. Join this briefing to hear from leaders who are taking action to urgently address these challenges.
- Bryan Greene, Director of Fair Housing Policy, National Association of Realtors
- Becky Pringle, Vice President, National Education Association
- Kenny Thompson, Jr., Senior Director & Head of External Affairs (North America), PepsiCo
- 5:00 – 6:00 pm ET – Meeting the Climate Crisis Challenge
- To address our climate crisis emergency, experts are pushing government leaders to take bold measures that invest now in a clean energy revolution, while creating good jobs and addressing environmental justice. Join this briefing to hear from leaders who are working to address the grave threat of the climate crisis.
- Dr. Cecilia Martinez, Co-Founder and Executive Director, Center for Earth, Energy and Democracy
- Lonnie Stephenson, President, International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
- Tom Steyer, Founder, NextGen
- Danielle Deane-Ryan, Senior Advisor, Libra Foundation